There are not enough hours in the day as a mom. Whether you're at home with your kids all day or you're working and then having to switch gears when you get home. It's a constant battle of when things are going to get done, and what needs to move to the top of the never ending to-do list. #coffeeisfuel
After contemplating this quite a bit and getting frustrated every night about how I was going to find a few extra hours each day, I realized that there was a giant pocket of time that I could potentially have to myself if I chose to wake up early. Now for some, that may mean 8 AM (lucky you!) but over here that meant that I would have to wake up around 6 AM to really be able to make that time count.
And so I did. I started setting my alarm clock earlier than usual, and now I'm waking up early every day, and I can honestly say it puts a giant step into my day. My kids don't really start stirring til' 7:15/7:30 so it gives me quite a bit of time to get ready. I use this time to do various things like actually shower in peace, or drink a whole cup of coffee without reheating it a gazillion times. I'll catch up on any emails, maybe have breakfast, read a magazine, watch the sunrise, do yoga, and mentally prepare myself for the day. This also lets me greet the kids in a good mood when I go get them. I used to hate waking up to the sound of cries on the monitor since I was still groggy. And, the problem with that is, kids don't normally wake up like that (unless pushed awake). My two year old and one year old wake up full force and ready to run in every direction. Combine that with "mombie" and it's a bad recipe. But recently, I've found myself to be just as excited as them when I go see them! I'm all smiles and they are just as happy!!
Our morning routine goes so much smoother. Because I've done whatever was needed for the day, we can focus on just getting them ready and out the door. No worries about running late since breakfasts and lunches have already been made! Sometimes dinner prep is also done! It's amazing what that little bit of time in the morning does!
Here are some tips to help you get started if you're currently a late riser!
1. Start Slow. If you currently wake up at 7:30 and want to wake up at 6 AM, don't go switching your alarm to 6 immediately. Go back 15 minutes everyday and work yourself up to that perfect time. You will never meet your goal if you try to attempt it all at once.
2. Go to bed earlier. The goal is to still get the same amount of sleep which means you will have to hit the sack a little earlier. Instead of being on your phone and checking facebook, read a book or do some nighttime yoga to help you get in the mood to sleep.
3. Don't hit snooze! I know it'll be difficult but try to not hit snooze. It's actually wasted time since your mind already knows that you need to get up. Laying half asleep in bed isn't productive, so get up when that alarm rings and don't even think about laying around for another 9 minutes!
4. Move your alarm clock away from you. This helps with #3. If you use your phone, then put it a little further out of your reach so you have to physically make some effort instead of just sticking your hand under the pillow!
5. Make it count. Don't wake up early to sit in bed and watch TV unless you think that's really what is going to help you feel productive! Get a jump start on your day! Tackle that long to-do list! Maybe even get a morning workout in! The possibilities are endless!
What do you think? Are you going to become an early riser if you're not already? I think I'm fully convinced this is the way of life for me!!